Saturday, March 10, 2012

Officially a Mama of a TWO YEAR OLD!!!

We ended up not making it to church on his birthday, though we really wanted to be there. Since we had all been sick late in the week before and not feeling 100% that staying home would be the best thing for our family.

Saturday night, March 3, I stayed up (but not late) making a birthday shirt for Andrew to wear for when he ate the cake.
This is how it looked when I first started out with it...



And I thought to myself, "This is not going to turn out that great.... I wish I was more crafty.."

Then I thought of outlining it with a different color. And it looked a little better. Then I got an idea to just outline it again! haha. Well it looked even better. So what did I do???

I KEPT OUTLINING!! HAHA!

And this is the end product!!


I thought it looked awesome and was could not decide if I should have outlined it just one more time but with purple. But I didn't want it to end up looking girly so... I didn't do the purple.

But I did this with "fabric markers" I found them in the art section at WalMart. I was in the art section looking for those fabric paints... I remembered the puffy paints from when I was a kid. And remembering how horribly I shake I thought the decorating with the paint bottles would turn out horribly. So I found these markers.

Also on the day before his birthday I made his cake, un-frosted. I used a box of the confetti cake mix and I used two six inch (I think) round cake pans. After the first two were done I took them out and placed them upside down on different plates, we are limited on kitchen utensils since we've just moved in like a month ago. After the pans were empty I cooled and cleaned one and re-greased it to make another layer with the remaining cake batter that was left. And then put that one on a plate to sit over night too.

Finally it is Sunday! Andrew's birthday!
(Also keep in mind that we are not feeling 100%)

 After laying in bed sort of late I remembered that I still had to decorate the cake. But I wasn't too worried because we did not plan on eating cake til later that evening. So I went in the kitchen and grabbed a Pop Tart for Andrew's breakfast. (It was a special treat for him since we don't usually have those.)
I got busy preparing the frosting. (I had got the vanilla frosting that came with the sprinkles to put on top of the cake when done, although I did not use those sprinkles.) I had baught a seperate bottle of sprinkles for the cake. They were the flat round sprinkles.
I had in mind how I wanted the cake to look, but you know how that goes... I thought maybe it'd be impossible to do. Kind of like maybe a Martha Stewart project and here I am just somebody who doesn't have a clue what I'm doing...
So I got out my mixer and bowl and put it together. I dumped the frosting in the bowl and started mixing it so it'd be more fluffy and started adding blue food coloring til I got it to the shade I wanted. Well I used pretty much the WHOLE BOTTLE of food coloring!!
So when I got it to the right color I went ahead and put the three layers of cake on top of each other but seperating them with frosting. When that was done I started the frosting which didn't take too long.
I had baught the candies that you put on top of cakes, like I mentioned before my hands are very shaky when it comes to writing. So I decorated the top of the cake. And I put the sprinkles around the top outside of the cake. I thought it turned out nicely.

Now the tricky part... The sides were just blue with the frosting. So I got a cup of water and used the plastic knife that I frosted the cake with and wet it and placed it in a plate coved in the flat and round sprinkles. The sprinkles stuck to the knife, I placed the knife's side to the cake and the sprinkles stuck. Well I continued to do this til ALL of the sprinkles from the bottle were on the sides of the cake. And here is the end product!!



I thought it turned out even better than I thought it would have!!

His birthday turned out pretty good though. We had his favorite for lunch, corndogs and mac and cheese. Well the corndogs are his favorite, not so much the mac and cheese. And for dinner we had meatloaf and home made mashed potatoes! Yumm!


After blowing out the candle


This from earlier that day, his birthday nap




Picking at the cake and eating the frosting


The frosting from a candy that was on my forehead... It was the only way he'd look at the camera


His Daddy enjoying the cake

Happy Birthday Andrew!! We love you!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List